Due to COVID-19 this policy has temporarily changed. Please see the Public Safety Website.
The purpose of this policy is to ensure the safe operation of Berea College owned or leased vehicles, to ensure the safety of the drivers and passengers, and to minimize the physical damage to vehicles and reduction of third party claims against Berea College.
It is Berea College’s policy that all Berea College-owned, leased or rented vehicles be operated in a safe and responsible manner. All vehicle operators must possess a valid state driver’s license and, if under the age of 26, have a current Defensive Driving Card. Only approved drivers shall operate any Berea College owned or rented vehicle. All approved drivers shall be expected to operate any Berea College owned or rented vehicle in a safe and responsible manner. Any approved drivers that are found to be misusing any Berea College owned or rented vehicle shall not be allowed to operate a Berea College owned or rented vehicle until such time that the driver in question can regain approval. Failure to comply with the procedures detailed in this policy may result in disciplinary action or termination of motor vehicle privileges.
Use of Berea College Vehicles
Berea College owned, leased or rented vehicles shall be used only for Berea College business or academic activities that are in accordance with the policies as set forth by Berea College. Berea College business is defined within the Transportation Policy as an approved activity that promotes the mission of Berea College through the areas of academic/non-academic activities, labor and employment, service, and Student Life activities including approved clubs and organizations. Personal use of any Berea College owned, leased or rented vehicles shall be prohibited.
- Authorized drivers—employees, including part-time and student employees, and registered volunteers are the only individuals authorized to operate Berea College owned, leased or rented vehicles. Students are authorized to operate a vehicle provided they have departmental approval and driving is related to Berea College business or academic activities. A valid driver’s license is required for all drivers.
- The driver is responsible for the protection and safe operation of the vehicle. The operator should obey all traffic laws and rules of safe driving, and the operator is responsible for traffic violations and fines including parking violations.
- Present a current and valid state driver’s license.
- Submit a completed “Authorization Form” for approval for use of Berea College owned or leased vehicle.
- Completion of a driving records check.
- Completion of Berea College Defensive Driving program (if under the age of 26).
- Agree to operate Berea College owned or leased vehicles in accordance with local, Federal laws and Berea College policies.
- Ensure that only approved and properly trained drivers operate Berea College owned or leased vehicles.
- Remove from service any departmentally owned vehicles that have become unsafe and have them repaired immediately.
- Submit completed “Authorization forms” to Public Safety for all prospective drivers within the department.
Failure to comply with the procedures detailed in this policy may result in disciplinary action or termination of motor vehicle privileges.
Use of Passenger Vans
When passenger vans are utilized for Berea College authorized travel the following guidelines shall apply:
- Drivers must be 18 years or older.
- Single day total driving mileage per driver should not exceed 5 consecutive hours or 500 consecutive miles.
- Drivers must have completed a Defensive Driving Class and be in possession of a current Defensive Driving card.
- Drivers must have completed a Van Driver’s Safety Defensive Driving Class and be in possession of a current Van Driver’s Safety Defensive Driving card.
- Submission of a list of approved secondary drivers for trips that may require driving in excess of 5 consecutive hours or 500 consecutive miles.
Any questions about the Motor Vehicle Safety Policy should be directed to the Office of Public Safety at ext. 3333.